May. 12, 2009 at 10:53am
This ain't mini golf, ladies and gents
The Tacoma Regional Convention + Visitor Bureau hosted "Tee Up For Success" this morning to keep those in the know in the know about the upcoming 2010 US Open Amateurs. Here are a few tidbits to get you and local businesses pumped (golf clap-style, of course):
- This will be the first time the US Amateur is in the Pacific Northwest
- Championship takes place Aug. 23-29, 2010
- 2 courses on first day then 1 course
- 5 days match play; winner receives Havenmeyer Cup
- Spectators expected: 3,000 - 5,000
- Media coverage includes local, national NBC and Golf Channel
- Spectators will be able to walk behind players (not at Open)
- Volunteers needed!
- US Open takes place in June 2015
- 1 course
- Spectators expected: 50,000 each day
- Same as Amateur
- Hoping to set record on number of homes available to players - typically 50-60 private houses available - we think we could house half of professionals (312 total)
- The Amateurs has grown from 32 competitors in 1895 to over 7,000 in 2008
- Many future US Open winners win Amateur first
- 9% of public plays golf
- 65% visitors from outside Pierce County; 20% from out of state currently
- Amateur has grown from 32 competitors in 1895 to over 7,000 in 2008 (Held in Southern Hills, OK this year)
- Opportunities for local business
- showcase the area
- economic development
- tourism and national TV audience
- visitor welcome packages
So are we ready? I volunteered for a golf event out at Chambers Bay late last year and, though I'm no golfer, it was a great time to be out, enjoy the amazing scenery and course, and see some really skilled players at work. Congrats to Chambers Creek, Chambers Bay, and the Tacoma area for this. I'm excited to show the world just how beautiful and friends the South Sound is!
Although I have another home on the web I thought it might be nice to lead by example a bit and put this blog system up to the test myself.
So far, so good... Funny how I build web tools for other people that are far better than the one's I have setup over on KFnet.
Hey Clear Channel, Clean Up Your Crap!