Jan. 14, 2009 at 10:10pm
new businessMark will probably type something up for cartoonistsleague.org but I just wanted to jot down some things we talked about...
- ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIPS - memberships for people who aren't cartoonists but still want to hang out with cartoonists, support amusing community art-stunts and most important wear a fez.
- HONORARY MEMBERSHIPS - would be like mormon "baptism for the dead"... call people members even if they have no interest in joining. Something you bestow on people.
- OUR NEWSLETTER AS A "ZINE" OR MINI COMIC - talked about newsletter names Elliot liked 'claw and order' each member would draw page numbers from a fez and be responsible for cartoon content on that page. zines would be distributed to coffee shops and or stuffed into City Arts and other unsuspecting host publications. Think old-school mad magazine... comics and fake ads.
- NON-PROFIT STATUS - would allow us to apply for arts grants, etc. drawback: can't offer political endorsements.
- OPEN TO THE PUBLIC MEETINGS - second meeting of every month would be open to the pubic. Come join us at Mandolin Cafe!
- STUDENT MEMBERSHIPS - NO REDUCED PRICE for students! it's to hard to keep track of who is actually a student and who is looking for a handout.
- SCHOLARSHIPS - need more members to build up scholarship funds!
- 24hr comic Day marathon - John from comic book ink and Warren from Tacoma Art Supply are onboard for corporate sponsorship!
- VIDEO MEMBER PROFILES - Electric Elliot thought it would be fun to do micro documentaries for each member on the website.
comments  | posted under absurd, activisim, cartoonist, claw, meeting notes, tacomaComments
by Erik on 1/15/2009 @ 12:20am
|Non cartoonist comments:
ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIPS - memberships for people who aren't cartoonists but still want to hang out with cartoonists, support amusing community art-stunts and most important wear a fez.
Yeah. Sign us up. Let the cult following begin.
NON-PROFIT STATUS - would allow us to apply for arts grants, etc. drawback: can't offer political endorsements.
Good idea. I would not worry about the political endorsement restriction though as you can lampoon at will and have the same effect.
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC MEETINGS - second meeting of every month would be open to the pubic. Come join us at Mandolin Cafe!
That could be fun. Just don't make it at friggin 700 in the morning like that blogger guy's breakfast group.
by jamesstoweart on 1/15/2009 @ 7:34am
|I so missed my cartoonist brothers. Being stuck at work tired and alone is no way to go through life, especially when there is absurdity to commence in.
My head feels naked without my trusty fez.
by izenmania on 1/15/2009 @ 8:38am
|On some personal level I just don't feel right about joining before actually becoming a cartoonist.|
by morgan on 1/15/2009 @ 9:18am
|NON-PROFIT STATUS - would allow us to apply for arts grants, etc. drawback: can't offer political endorsements.
There are many different forms of non-profits. I think only one (501c3) turns its thumbs down on political endorsements - not that there's monitoring.
I think a cartoonists group is cool but wish it would have been "merry-makers" - we could use something like that for we non-cartoonists that like to make merry.
by Erik on 1/15/2009 @ 10:08am
|On some personal level I just don't feel right about joining before actually becoming a cartoonist.
Yep. They may need a "fan club" category.
by jane on 1/15/2009 @ 11:13am
|I'd like to wear a fez... and jeweled cat's eye glasses.|
by NineInchNachos on 1/15/2009 @ 12:35pm
|ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIPS would cover the fan club/merry makers/non-cartoonist-but-likes-cartoonists category. Like a cartoonist roadie!
there is power in fez
by Mofo from the Hood on 1/15/2009 @ 12:48pm
|I specialize in aftermarket cartooning whereby I convert stock cartoons into silhouettes. I call the technique "Silhouetz by Mofo."
'cuz it's a black thing.
by NineInchNachos on 1/15/2009 @ 7:37pm
|Amalgamated CLAW Digest... hmm.
help me think of names for our newsletter zine!
by Erik on 1/15/2009 @ 8:31pm
|Proxy entry for FULL FEZ MEMBERSHIP for David Boe:|
by boearc on 1/16/2009 @ 3:43pm
|Unfortunately I grew up in a strict Marxist household and in honor of my Swedish Grandfather Emil, I could not accept membership into any organization that would actually consider accepting me as a member.|
by NineInchNachos on 1/16/2009 @ 5:33pm
|Come ooooon. Everybody is doing it! You wanna be COOL don't you? |
you can think about it.
in the meantime I think I will nominate our first HONORARY MEMBER... famous tacoma cartoonist GARY LARSON of farside fame.
by boearc on 1/16/2009 @ 6:09pm
|Maybe there is the possibility as an 'arch-junct' member (as I do already have the fez...).|
by NineInchNachos on 1/16/2009 @ 9:01pm
by izenmania on 1/16/2009 @ 9:45pm
|Oh my god we have that exact same Goofy hat. For serious.|
by NineInchNachos on 1/16/2009 @ 11:09pm
|that is the fez of shame.|
by morgan on 1/17/2009 @ 12:35am
|in the meantime I think I will nominate our first HONORARY MEMBER... famous tacoma cartoonist GARY LARSON of farside fame.
He is even somewhat local, hiding out nearby. That is as specific as I can get.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Political Cartoonist
BUY NOW: TACOMIC SURPLUS!
TIP LINE: email me, TWITTER OR CALL (253) 778-6786
RR Anderson is one of the most curious characters in the UFO lore and the history of underground cartooning. He fought bizarre underground beings in the caves of Alaska, was wounded by a laser before it was invented, and had a background with the clandestine branch of the Tacoma Cartoonists Society.
For seekers unafraid to be discernibly turgid in a time of drastic change, we recommend:
CARTOON ARTIST RESUME
find me on Facebook
CENTRAL TACOMA FREE-RADICAL MEDIA EXCHANGE
FROST PARK CHALK OFF
Holistic Forge Works
C.L.A.W. | SECRET CITY FEED TACOMA COMICS PAGE
"may the great winged turtle flap her wind upon us all" ~ Dr. FA Neekburn, 1889