TacomaTideFC's Blog

May. 31, 2011 at 10:56am

Tide keep it close in Oregon

Club still looking for first win of 2011

Brandon Henry, left, talks with Tony Armitage after the Yellows fell 2:0 on Sunday night in Oregon.


Tacoma Tide FC were right in the middle of the United States Open Cup berth race, and then even after a big loss last Friday found themselves still a part of the drama. Tacoma played Sunday night against the Portland Timbers U23s as the race for the spot came down to the wire. Portland's 2:0 win over the Yellows drew the Oregon club level on points and tiebreakers with the Kitsap Pumas after Bremerton's boys won 1:0 over North Sound SeaWolves on Sunday in Everett.

The United Soccer Leagues announced a lottery will determine which of Kitsap or Portland get the berth. The outcome of the lottery is to be announced today.

I followed the Tide to Oregon and can share some photos on Facebook and videos via www.TacomaFC.com. The Timbers sent me a few photos of the match in the gallery at left.

Here is a quick video reel of a few Tide chances on goal.

The Tide are now 0-2-2 after four matches in the 2011 PDL campaign. It was a much better performance for the club than the 6:1 trashing they took at the feet of Kitsap on Friday.


Here is a report issued by www.PortlandTimbers.com:

CLACKAMAS, Ore. – A brace from forward Miles Byass and another shutout performance by goalkeeper Jason Dodson helped the Portland Timbers U-23s extend their unbeaten streak to four matches with a 2-0 win over the Tacoma Tide at Clackamas High School on Sunday.

The win marked the fourth and final match for the Timbers U-23s towards qualification for the 2011 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. The Timbers U-23s finished with a record of 3-0-1 in qualification matches and sit in a two-way tie with the Kitsap Pumas through three tie breakers – total wins, goal difference and goals scored – for the Premier Development League’s Northwest Division berth in the tournament. A lottery will be conducted by the league Tuesday to determine which team advances to the tournament.

Byass opened the scoring in the 31st minute on a penalty kick and then capped the night with a strike in the opening minute of the second half. Dodson logged two saves as the Timbers U-23s (3-1-1, 10pts) extended their shutout streak to four straight games; the team has not conceded a goal in 395 consecutive minutes.

Facing its third game in seven days, the Tide (0-2-2, 2pts) was handed its second straight loss. Tacoma received shots from four different players, but was out-shot 17-4 in the match.

Portland grabbed the lead just after the half hour. Byass was clipped from behind inside the box as he broke free towards the goal and the Timbers U-23s were awarded a penalty kick. He finished home from the spot for his third goal of the season, giving the Timbers U-23s a 1-0 advantage in the 31st minute.

Byass, who also scored against the North Sound SeaWolves earlier this week, added to his account with a goal in the 46th minute. From the second half’s opening kickoff, Byass intercepted a pass between Tacoma players and then rocketed a shot from 18 yards out past Tide goalkeeper Jordan Jennings for a 2-0 lead for the Timbers U-23s.

In the closing minutes of the match, Dodson turned in a key save on a shot off a Tacoma corner kick, preserving his clean sheet.

comments [0]  |  posted under soccer, Tacoma, Tacoma Tide FC, Yellows